Pages

Thursday 21 December 2017

ACTIVITY 2

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family.
Some of us have large families and
some of us have very small families.
When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry
I sometimes choose to use a pepeha.
It is a very special way of identifying
who I am and where I come from.
There are many different versions of
pepeha but most provide people with information
about who you are and where you come from (
i.e. your whakapapa).
Use the template provided below
to prepare your own unique pepeha.
If you need help please watch this
short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

90668006.jpg
SAMPLE PEPEHA
Ko Mt wellington te maunga    
The mountain that I affiliate* to is…

Ko ( I don’t understand?)  
te awa - The river that I affiliate to is….

Ko (I don’t understand?)
 te waka The waka that I affiliate to is…

Ko Sosefo tōku tīpuna  
My founding ancestor is…


Ko Ha'ateiho  tōku iwi My tribe is…



Ko tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
(I don’t understand?)   

Ko New Zealand (Auckland)
 tōku marae My marae is…

Ko New Zealand (Auckland)
ahau I am from…

Ko________ rāua ko ___________ōku mātua
 My parents are … and …

Ko Meki tōku ingoa. My name is …

*affiliate means to associate with, or be close to.


When you have completed your pepeha,
post it on your blog.
You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.

3 comments:

  1. Aloha Macky

    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    You have done an excellent job on this task. How did you find this task?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Macky! Thanks for sharing your pepeha with us. It's awesome that you've been able to include so much information.

    We really hope you will continue to complete some activities and blog a bit more throughout January.

    I hope you had an awesome Christmas and are having a safe summer.

    Blog soon!
    Billy

    ReplyDelete